Felix In Hollywood

A Blog for the Smart Set

Sunday, February 21, 2010

An Even C-Note.



Welcome To My 100th Post!




To celebrate I'm initiating the first in a series of posts featuring my art collection.  This humors me as most everything in my little cottage has been found in thrift shops.  There are a few pieces that have been given to me by the Artists, but mostly it is the Hollywood National Museum of Goodwill.

To start with let's look at the one thing I have that was handed down from the family.  In 1974 we went up to spend a long weekend at my Aunt and Uncle's house in Brielle, NJ.  They had a beautiful home with a swimming pool so we were dressed in swimming togs for most of the weekend.  At some point my Dad took a picture of my Mother.  Later, back in Maryland he took the snapshot to painter and commissioned a painting of it.  The guy did a wonderful job; it looks just like the original photo.  My Mother was 41 at the time and enjoying a period in which she was at the height of her looks.  She is wearing her favorite black velvet bikini with gold metal fastenings.

The painting is all at once very cheesy and terribly fabulous.  My Mother and I had an extremely difficult relationship.  Enmeshed and unhealthy.  But when I look at this picture, I am reminded that Dee could at times be a fine and fun gal!


10 comments:

normadesmond said...

hubba hubba. she looked good.

is she "painted" as well, or did the artist use the photo and paint everything around it? i find it interesting that as long as a painting was being done, why wasn't some artistic license taken...dee around the pool? dee under a tree by some flowers vs. dee by the half paneled wall.

normadesmond said...

oh and congratulations on reaching 100! you don't look it!

Philip Mershon said...

She was painted. The original photo was snapshot size and this thing is 16x24.

No license was taken as I think he was a "I'm only being paid to paint what I see" type of guy.

savannah said...

congratulations on 100 posts, sugar! here's to you and y'alls blog! cheers oxoxo

The Mistress said...

So THAT'S where you got your shapely figure.

Congrats on the big 100!

jason said...

Her favorite black velvet bikini?
As opposed her her other black velvet bikinis I'm sure.

You clearly have inherited her fabulosity.


Love this! And your idea of showing off your art!

kabuki zero said...

Have I seen you in that bikini? Or was it in a dream? Either way - it looks better on mom. As for 100 posts, stop running your ham-hole. People need to hear the truth. PEOPLE OF HOLLYWOOD - LISTEN TO KABUKI! THIS 'FELIX' IS AN UNSAVORY SPACE ALIEN! WORLD DOMINATION IS HIS GOAL! Stay tuned to the kabuki broadcast network for updates. kiss kiss

Philip Mershon said...

It's obviously going to take a lot more than a camera up the butt to keep a good kabuki down. Too bad the second procedure of 'camera down the throat' was postponed, it might have been quieter!

Stephen said...

The first 100 is the hard part.
Thanks for sharing. I like getting to know you, & to look back can be sad & funny... I know! I look forward to your collection.

Donna Lethal said...

Congratulations! You are no longer the baby of the group ... I was just thinking today how much I love your blog, and how much I learn from it.

Now - this painting. I ADORE IT.
I do.